Virginia State Police (VSP) are investigating an early morning fatal shooting that occurred July 6 in the Town of Halifax. At this stage of the investigation, the shooting appears to be accidental in nature, according to a VSP statement.
At approximately 12:45 a.m., the Town of Halifax Police responded to a residence in the 5100 block of Halifax Road for a report of a shooting. When officers arrived, they found a 3-year-old male suffering from a single gunshot wound, according to VSP. The child was transported to Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital, where he succumbed to his injury. His remains are being transported to the Office of Chief Medical Examiner in Roanoke for examination and autopsy.
A handgun was recovered at the scene. None of the three adults nor an additional juvenile inside the residence at the time of the shooting was injured, police say. No charges have been placed as the investigation remains ongoing at this time, in consultation with the Halifax County Commonwealth's Attorney.
- 'An angel on earth': bandmate mourns loss of Hurt teenager
- Local business community gathers for ribbon-cutting at new Altavista Radio Shack location
- Area author publishes second children's book
- Coggsdale steps down, takes post in Strasburg
- Late night crash damages guard rail, utility pole
- Community bands together for golf tournament
- Canned cocktails arrive in Virginia ABC stores
- School board hears local concerns regarding VDOE's transgender student policies
- Hurt revises vegetation ordinance, hears speeding concerns
- Brookneal Belles punch ticket to World Series
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.